Total Pageviews

Tuesday 5 October 2010

Our Invisible Friends

I can catagorically state with hand on heart that people in wheelchairs are invisible. Conversations are carried out over their heads as if they were not there. Cashiers always address the pusher when asking for money. It seems to be assumed that because someone is pushing them about they are not able to speak for themselves.
I have been pushing wheelchairs off and on for probably ten years. First my Mother, then my Stepfather and now my Aunt so I can speak with some knowledge. My Aunt, bless her, lives alone, does not have any home help at all, still drives her car, albeit not far, dresses to kill, a very smart lady of 85 and enjoys a good chat so I get just a little miffed when people direct their conversation to me pushing her chair rather than look down and speak directly to her. No wonder she hates going in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment