Total Pageviews

Tuesday 5 October 2010

My invisible family member

I have been pushing wheelchairs for around 10 years. First my Mother, then my Stepfather and now my Aunt so I can speak with some knowledge on the subject of invisibility.
No one seems to see them. Cashiers at supermarket tills ask you, the pusher for the money or if you need help packing. People will stop and talk to you and completely ignore the person in the chair. Rarely does anyone hold a door open for you to manouver through. Its as if being pushed in a wheelchair is a sign that you are devoid of sensible thought or communication skills. My Aunt still lives alone, has no home help of any kind, still drives her automatic car, albeit not too far, thoroughly enjoys a good natter and dresses to kill. She is a very smart 85 yr old. No wonder she hates sitting in the wheelchair. What can we do to educate the masses then?

1 comment:

  1. That's actually quite a good point! I must admit that I know a few wheelchair users but they are totally independent and don't use help even when I offer I get a right telling off. A vast majority of wheelchairs users as you said aren't devoid of thought or communication. Personally,I think it's just pure ignorance.

    ReplyDelete